It’s obvious, of course, to speak about independent bookstores on the eve of Independence Day, but it makes sense. While our nation’s independent spirit is celebrated with fireworks and cookouts, most indies are closed to enjoy some time with family and friends. I thought I’d share my thoughts on why indies are such great places.
– We know your dogs’ names.
– We welcome every request, even when you’re not sure what you’re looking for.
– If you’re having a bad day, we very well might give you a sticker.
– We love that you continuously introduce to authors we’ve not read.
– We will patiently talk with you until you find the right book that suits the mood you’re in.
– We will take your special order at the supermarket.
– We love to meet your babies.
– It makes us happy that your children grew up in our store.
– We will send a condolence card when someone in your family passes away.
– We will encourage you to use the library.
– We will always want to talk with you about books.
– We will enjoy meeting your extended family when they visit, on July 5th.
Have a happy and safe holiday!